Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 2014 14:48:04 -0800
From:      Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pkg upgrade 'SAT solver' problem

Peter Harrison <four.harrisons@googlemail.com> writes:

> Can someone help with a pkg upgrade problem please?
>
> I've been relying solely on binary pkg for a while now without problem.
> However, on doing the latest upgrade I get:
>
> root@thinkpad:/home/peter # pkg upgrade
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
> All repositories are up-to-date.
> Checking for upgrades (377 candidates): 100%
> Checking integrity... done (1 conflicting)
> pkg: Cannot solve problem using SAT solver:
> cannot install package libxfce4util~x11/libxfce4util, remove it from
> request? [Y/n]: n
> pkg: cannot solve job using SAT solver
>
> If I answer 'y' I get a much longer sequence of similar errors and the
> upgrade still bombs.
>
> This is on:
>
> FreeBSD thinkpad 10.0-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p9 #0: Mon Sep 15
> 14:35:52 UTC 2014
> root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
>  amd64
>
> Thanks for your help.

I just went through that a few days ago.  I ended up just answering y to
everything and letting it remove the packages.  I then went back and
used pkg to reinstall the ones it had just removed.  I had thought that
pkg would fix these types of problems, but obviously not.

When I asked here at that time, someone suggested 'pkg check -Ba' to see
if there are pkg problems.  In my case there were some, but fixing them
didn't help the solver problem.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org