Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 22:37:49 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@rover.village.org>
To:        Craig Wilson <craig@natsoft.com.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ADAPTEC 1520B SCSI CONTROLLER FREEZING COMPUTER

In message <34013FC8.20F4@natsoft.com.au> Craig Wilson writes:
: The 1520B controller appears to be a new Adaptec product, it has
: Adaptec AHA 1510/20/22B printed on the PCB, and is a plug & play device.
: Plug & play was disabled in the adapter BIOS.

This 152x series of boards use the 62x0 and 63x0 series of chips.  The
aic driver is know to be flakey on many of these boards doing many
common things.  Someone needs to find the time to fix this driver.  I
have the programming info and a couple of cards, but my personal life
makes it impossible for me to do any work on them at the moment.  I
will keep your message in mind when I do try to start on it and use a
tape drive in testing.

: Is this Adaptec 1520B supported by FreeBSD or do I have a fault with
: the controller? I replaced the 1520B with a 1542 controller and all
: is working fine.

while there is a small chance that the controller is bad, it is much
more likely that you've run into limitaitons in our driver.  The 1542
is a ROCK SOLID card that will give you YEARS of happy and faithful
service.

Warner