Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 18:58:48 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>, mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th (Roger Merritt)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trap 12 page fault in kernel mode

On Friday 02 August 2002 11:56 am, Jerry McAllister wrote:
| > I've been having problems running portsdb and portupgrade remotely for a
| > couple of months now. When I use SSH to log in and run portsdb I get a
| > hell of a lot of error messages (mostly saying "" doesn't exist and the
| > dependency list is incomplete) and after a couple of hours the server
| > reboots. Today I caught it while the screen was still displaying the
| > error message, "Trap 12 page fault while in kernel mode". Today I was
| > running the file output by 'portversion -c > needs.update'. The machine
| > had been chugging away merrily for a couple of hours downloading and
| > compiling when the same thing happened.
| >
| > I guess from the term "page fault" there has been a glitch in virtual
| > memory. Is this a symptom that my hard drive might be developing
| > problems? Oddly enough, I've run similar commands from the console and
| > they've completed without a reboot.
|
| The term "page fault" just means it had to page out some memory to
| disk or get it back again.  The virtual memory system pages so swap
| space.

Although that is a definition of "page fault" I believe that the message only
occurs when it tries to page but it can't.  Possibly the disk where the swap
space is is corrupted, or possibly you simply don't have enough of it.  I'd
recommend running xosview or similar so you can monitor your memory usage,
but I suspect that a bigger swap area might behoove you.  Or more physical
RAM.

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org