Date:      Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:50:02 +0100
From:      tesolarisc <per-olof.nilsson2@comhem.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: help with installation of 6.2 release i386 on older HP desktop

--=-FbbxmdJh9L6EmQY+8LYi

Try to burn a new cd/dvd and burn it at a lower speed.
It might be that the cd/dvd isn't 100%.

cheers

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 00:17 -0800, Joseph Eaton wrote:
> More precisely.  I do select the elements I want ("All" and then "Exit" a=
nd then "Install from CD-ROM" and then some files flash before my eyes and =
then I come to a screen that says: "User Confirmation Requested" and below =
that "Unable to transfer the base distribution from adc0" and on the next l=
ine "Do you want to try to retrieve it again?" and then at the bottom "Yes"=
 or "No" and I can never retrieve it successfully or exit successfully.  Th=
anks again for your help.
>=20
 for the first time.  I have an HP desktop computer with 64MB of SDRAM, a 1=
2 GB hard drive and a Pentium II processor running at 333 MHz.  I am trying=
 to put FreeBSD 6.2 on this machine but have not had any luck.  I've read t=
he documentation, but stil can't seem to figure out what to do.
>=20
> I downloaded the ISO mage for the "bootonly" disk and checked that it usi=
ng checksum.md5, then burned a disk image using InfrRecorder to a fresh CD-=
R.  I set the bios on my HP to boot from the CDROM drive and put the disk i=
n.  It walks me through the installation process but never gives me a chanc=
>  to exit.  I select the Standard installation but get stuck shortly there=
after when I try to tell it to use the option to set up for a single user u=
sing the X-Window system.  It won't let me select multiple elements like bi=
n and library.  I get stuck and then it never completes and won't let me ou=
t of the setup screen series.