Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:02:56 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ssh window

--==_Exmh_1213383776_53832P

> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:43:39 -0400
> From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-net@freebsd.org
>
> <<On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:04:08 +0200, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org> said:
>
> > Garrett Wollman wrote:
> >> Am I the only one who would be happier if openssh were not in the base
> >> system at all?
>
> > Quite possibly :)
>
> > I don't think it's at all viable to ship FreeBSD without an ssh client
> > in this day and age.
>
> If that were what I had suggested, you might have a point.  I'm want
> FreeBSD to ship with an ssh client, too.  I just want it shipped as a
> package, so that it's easier to delete when I'm ready to replace it
> with one that meets my requirements (about an hour after install).
> Having it be easier to update when there's a security issue would be
> an added bonus.

Replacing the base ssh with the port is utterly trivial. You already
are setting configuration options, so OVERWRITE_BASE is no more than a
few key presses and a one-liner in make.conf or src.conf is pretty
trivial.

V7---Add "WITHOUT_OPENSSH=" to /etc/src.conf
Pre-V7--=-Add "NO_OPENSSH=" to /etc/make.conf

That is all it takes.

We use SmartCards for authentication, so I already have a bunch of
systems that are configured this way.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)