Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 2004 20:29:55 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Hannes Mehnert <hannes@mehnert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Racoon breakage with recent kernel - what NOT to do

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:52:48 +0200, Hannes Mehnert <hannes@mehnert.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 03:32:18PM -0600, Mike Durian wrote:
> > This is just a follow-up to say the problem still exists in a -current
> > system I built from source yesterday (7/11/04).  Does anyone know
> > what's going on?
> >
> > And to clarify, the URL listed above does show the same problem I'm
> > seeing.
>
> A workaround is setting MSIZE to 320 in your kernel config:
> options		MSIZE=320

Well, I applied this tweak to my kernel config file (some time ago!) and
it fixed the racoon issue.... **BUT** doing this badly breaks dtom() - all
sorts of issues turn up when a data pointer can't be turned back into its
owning mbuf pointer.

This explains all of the mis-aligned mbuf frees that turn up and panic the
system.

In fact, I can't really explain *why* dtom() actually works, but that's the
content of my other posting....

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>