Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2001 08:54:20 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Plagiarism (Was: FreeBSD spokesman)
References:  <20010706103808.A99228@lpt.ens.fr> <20010626122845.A11960@xor.obsecurity.org> <20010626214230.D461@canyon.nothing-going-on.org> <20010626174756.A61831@blackhelicopters.org> <20010702211810.B325@sydney.worldwide.lemis.com> <4.3.2.7.2.20010703141550.045f5340@localhost> <20010705123729.M371@sydney.worldwide.lemis.com> <4.3.2.7.2.20010705125211.04638740@localhost> <20010705224626.O47721@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010705163434.04524b00@localhost> <20010706103808.A99228@lpt.ens.fr>

At 07:14 AM 7/6/2001, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

>I'd like to add: the proper place to look for a definition is a
>dictionary, rather than your hodgepodge of out-of-context quotes
>and student writing guides.
>
>The Oxford English Dictionary defines plagiarism as:
>
>     "the action or practice of plagiarizing; the wrongful appropriation
>     or purloining, and publication as one's own, of the ideas, or the
>     expression of the ideas (literary, artistic, musical, mechanical,
>     etc.) of another."
>(http://www.library.dal.ca/killam/instruct/plagiar.htm)

The above is only a portion of the OED's definition. Also, you
neglect to mention that the web site from which you extracted
that short excerpt goes on to say:

"The University attaches great importance to the contribution of
original thought to scholarship. It attaches equal importance to the
correct attribution of authorities from which facts and opinions have
been derived.

"The proper use of footnotes and other methods of attribution varies from
discipline to discipline. Failure to abide by the attribution standards of
the discipline concerned in the preparation of essays, term papers and
dissertations or theses may, in some cases, constitute plagiarism.

"Students who are in any doubt about the proper forms of citation and
attribution of authorities and sources should discuss the matter in advance
with the faculty members for whom they are preparing assignments. In many
academic departments, written statem ents on matters of this kind are made
available as a matter of routine or can be obtained on request."

(See http://www.library.dal.ca/killam/instruct/dalpolcy.htm)

In short, Rahul, you're skating on thin ice here. Throughout the
world and throughout the Web, quoting without proper attribution
is UNIVERSALLY considered to be plagiarism. And Greg gave me NO
attribution. None.

>>From the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
>
>   pla*giar*ize (BrE also -ise) /pledraz/ verb (disapproving) to copy
>   another person's ideas, words or work and pretend that they are your
>   own: [vn] He was accused of plagiarizing his colleague's results.
>   [also v]
>   pla*giar*ism /pledrzm/ noun [U, C] (disapproving) an act of
>   plagiarizing sth; sth that has been plagiarized: There were
>   accusations of plagiarism.  a text full of plagiarisms
>(http://www1.oup.co.uk/elt/oald/)

The reference above is to a highly abridged dictionary for children.

>If you find an authoritative reference work claiming that an
>unattributed quote, even when clearly marked as a quote, is
>plagiarism, let me know.

I happen to be spending the weekend at the house of a scholar who,
while he doesn't have the OED, has Webster's New International
Dictionary of the English Language. (The book is so heavy that it's
awkward to lift; he keeps it on a stand in his study.) It says:

plagiarize (v.t.): To steal or purloin and use as one's own (The
ideas, words, artistic productions, etc., of another); to use
without due credit the ideas, expressions, or productions of
(another).

Note the latter half of the definition. A similar definition
is online at

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=plagiarizing

Another authoritative reference: The MLA Style Manual
(http://www.mla.org/www_mla_org/style/style_index.asp?mode=section)
which is the gold standard among academic syle guides. My friend
has this here, too. It states, simply:

"Plagiarism is the use of another person's ideas or expressions
in your writing without acknowledging the source."

And finally, Microsoft's Encarta (formerly Funk & Wagnall's
Encyclopedia), at

http://encarta.msn.com/

says, authoritatively:

"Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: '[string: "rel"]'

/intl/bver.inc, line 25"

;-)

--Brett