Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:46:59 +0100
From:      Dave <xtalsinger@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help needed with DNS reolving

"User" install of 4.6-Release

Still a standard install, nothing new added as yet, but the box can't
won't resolve DNS.  It can ping or FTP using IP address.

I'm not even sure what info I need to give to help get this sorted, so
here's some basic stuff.  If you want to help and need more info, reply to
list please or see sig below.

Ok then, the problem

Smoothwall firewall running a DHCP server.  Two other FreeBSD4.6 boxes
both worked "out of the box" as far as DNS is concerned.  They are
assigned IP addresses, see the Smoothy as a DNS server, all ok.

Now, this new box just can't seem to see the DNS server on the smoothwall
box.  Smoothwall is set to give out IP address in the range
192.168.1.10-30.  The new box was assigned 192.168.1.15.  It can ping both
internal and external 'net address's.  It can even FTP into
ftp.uk.freebsd.org if I use the IP address.  If I use the URI, I get:

ftp: ftp.uk.freebsd.org: No address associated with hostname

I tried assigning IP and router addresses manually in /etc/rc.conf:

#ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"
ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.1.19 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"

Exactly the same results.  I have no idea how to manually set up FreeBSD
to use specific DNS addresses.

Please help.

Dave

--