Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 1997 09:57:23 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        jbryant@tfs.net
Cc:        Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PDP-11 UNIX source licenses

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Jim Bryant wrote:

> In reply:
> > I think it has also been mentioned in this group that Lions Commentary on
> > UNIX 6th Edition is in print and available from various booksellers on the
> > web.
> >
> > -Chris
> >
> > On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Joerg Micheel wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > the history of making UNIX freely available is old,
> > > but I thought hackers@freebsd might be a community to
> > > look for fellows of Warren Toomey's initiative to get
> > > V1-7 source code licenses from SCO for personal use.
> > >
> > > So, if you are interested, please take a look at:
> > >
> > >     http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/PUPS/petition.html
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > 	Joerg
>
> hmmm...  neet! i am running "multi-user" in another window...
>
> this thing will run real sco v7 binaries, does anyone have a copy of
> rsx-11m i can borrow, rsts/e, etc...?  dd it for me puleeze!!!!!  i
> had so much phun with that os!@#

There was an article in one of the last issues of DTJ (Digital Technical
Journal) about preserving the history of computing. It had a lot of info
both on actual preserved ancient PDPs (not just -11s, but also the more
obscure 18bit models), and on emulators for these. The URL is:

http://www.digital.com/info/DTJN00/

> any sources for 2BSD around?!@
>
> this is cool!
>
> jim
> --
> All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
> think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or
> radioactive waters and yell WAHOO !!!     | numbered!" - #1, "The Prisoner"
> jbryant@tfs.net - KC5VDJ 2M, 70cm, KPC-3+ - kc5vdj@wv0t.#neks.ks.usa.noam

Nadav