Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 21:49:04 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stb 4 port serial card using a shared interupt

jonathan michaels writes:
> hello all ..
>
> i've recently aquired a very old "Acer" derivide pentium (p5) 90 mhz with a 4
> port serial card. it is a stb 4 port using st16880(??) - startech uart, it can
> run at about 230 kbits/sec, i believe.
>
> my problem is that i have no documentation for this card and would like to
> use it in my freebsd v2.2.7-release (soon to be v2.2.8-release) network
> gateway machine. i believe it is possible to use the serial ports via a single
> interupt. i recieved the machine (and serial card) as a working ms windows 95
> converted ms dos (fidonet) bulletin board. it works well in ms dos mode and ms
> win 95 .. but, i would like to be able to run the card in freebsd .. if i could
> discover the jumpering information to convert it from its current 4 ports on
> four irqs.

115k is the fastest it will run. Chip is a Startech ST16C554CJ.

This is how I have mine configured:

device  sio2    at isa? port 0x1a8 tty flags 0x205 irq 10 vector siointr
device  sio3    at isa? port 0x1e8 tty flags 0x205
device  sio4    at isa? port 0x2a8 tty flags 0x205
device  sio5    at isa? port 0x3e8 tty flags 0x205

The above skips the traditional "COM3" I/O address as my Mach32 (since
retired) was using that address for something.

The jumpers are quite a nightmare as there are 5 big blocks of jumpers.
Once Upon A Time this stuff was online at http://www.stb.com/ but I
couldn't find it.

Uh, stupid question, anybody have NT 4.0 drivers?   :-)
I have two of these cards.

Starting at the bottom jumpers J33 thru J40, each has 3 pins. This row
is used to select the "IRQ Block" used per port. J33 and J34 for port
A, etc, thru J40. Rather than go into great details leave all the
jumpers on the bottom pairs of pins to select "IRQ Block A" which is
controlled by J25 thru J28.

The right most 4 jumpers (3 pins per jumper) of the remaining 4 jumper
banks are IRQ Blocks. The leftmost set of 4 define I/O addresses. Use
only one jumper per block for IRQ, only one jumper per block for I/O.
You use J33 thru J40 to point a port toward what jumper block it is to
use. To share an IRQ you point the ports to the same IRQ block, you
don't set multiple IRQ blocks to the same IRQ.

Lets see if I can do ASCII art:

	3f8 2f8 1f8 2a8	12  10   4   2
	 o   o   o   o   o   X   o   o
	 o   o   o   X   o   X   o   o
	 o   o   o   X   o   o   o   o
	3e8 2e8 1e8 1a8 15  11   5   3

The above is supposed to be an IRQ jumper block with IRQ 10 selected.
IRQ Block A isJ25-J28, B is J17-J20, C is J9-12, D is J1-J4.

Also shown above is a port selected for I/O address 0x1a8. Jumpers
J29-J32 select port 1 I/O, J21-J24 for port 2, J13-J16 for port 3, and
J5-J8 for port 4.

Output jack for port 1 is closest to the ISA connector. Port 4 is
furthest.

	 o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o
      J8 X   o   o   o   o   o   o   o J1
	 X   o   o   o   o   o   o   o