Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:24:48 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Dan Strick" <strick@covad.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Copyright Issues

No, it IS clear that copyright law applies here.  See:

http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/mainpage/copyright.html

Copyright applies to images, that is why you can't use an image of
Micky Mouse on your stuff.

> I doubt that the concept
> of a cute demon is copyrightable.

Correct.  The definition of a "cute demon" is very broad.

> In order to be a copyright violation,
> it might have to be obvious that the *only* way the vending machine daemon
> could have been composed was to intentionally copy a daemon image whose
> copyright is held by Kirk McKusick.  (This one does look an awful lot like
> some versions of the BSD daemon.)

That is not true.  All that is required is that it closely resembles the
image, I believe the language is something along the lines that if it is
likely
consumers would confuse the images then it's a violation.

This of course is where the pedal meets the metal.  The image on the
condom dispenser is an infringement - in my opinion.  The difficulty is
convincing a court of law.

> A further complication is that Naughty International Limited is a European
> company and the alleged property rights violation occurred in Europe.

Doesen't matter.  All countries in Europe that are members of the EU
had to modify their copyright laws to bring them into compliance with
the Berne convention, just to join the EU.  And all signatories to the
convention (which is just about every civilized country) are obligated to
adjust their laws to match.

Failing to do so automatically recinds copyright protection for anything
created in that country - for example if Nigeria didn't sign, any books
written in Nigeria by a Nigerian resident would not be uncopyrightable,
etc.

> These issues are a bit subtle.  If you really care about them, you should
> ask a lawyer who works with intellectual property rights law.

No you shouldn't.  You ask a lawyer to file a lawsuit, but you can do
basic research on copyright law on the Internet very easily.

You have a lot more money than I do if you ask lawyers for answers anytime
you have a legal question.

In this instance Kirk has nothing to lose by sending the infringers a
cease-and-desist letter.  I'm sure it's very easy for them to get someone
to draw another image, and they probably didn't realize the image was
copyrighted.  As long as they respond and change the image for future
vending machines, that is enough to preserve Kirks control over the image.

Besides, I am amazed this company hasn't already had problems with theft,
if one of these condom dispensers showed up around here, I can think of
a dozen people who would be trying to figure out how to steal it.

Ted