Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 1996 17:03:58 +0500
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        Philippe SCHACK <phschack@inba.fr>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Micronics MotherBoard

> From:          Philippe SCHACK <phschack@inba.fr>

> I have installed FreeBSD with a P75 on a Micronics D5CUB PCI/ISA card and
> have the following problems:
>   After the install (wich runs ok) when a try to acces to the 3'5 floppy,
> the system hangs without any messages. I only have to reset the system.
>   I have installed a Adaptec SCSI AHA-1542B card with a TANDBERG TDC-3800
> Streamer . When i boot on the BOOT FLOPPY, the system hangs after displaying
> a part of the Tandberg TDC 3800 informations.
>
> Does anyone have any information about this ?
>
> The same material (Adaptec card floppy) on a 486 DLC card works fine.

I have had problems with the 1542B floppy controller in the past.
You might want to try adjusting the bus on/off time for the
controller to see if it will work better.  You might also want to run
the controllers built in DMA test (in the BIOS at some oddball
address) although I can't remember if the DMA speed affected the
floppy or not.  Maybe someone else on the group can elaborate?

When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com