Date:      Tue, 7 May 1996 10:59:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jgenend@ibm.net (Jeff Genender)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PANIC: Cannot mount root

> After much reading and your help as well as others, there is no doubt
> that my problem is the fact that the IDE drive is 'stealing' 0x80 and
> therefore the run of hd(1,a)/kernel would work.  But...it
> doesn't...because FreeBSD is on my second SCSI drive; and
> hd(2,a)/kernel as you probably already know will just force a pull from
> sd(0,a).  I can't really go into it but I have to keep the drives
> configured this way for NT/95 issues (its a long story).  So, I would
> love to do some hacking of the code, but the only problem is, I need to
> get into FreeBSD to do the hacking.  And up until this point, this has
> been an impossibility.  Any guidance would be much appreciated (as
> painless as possible of course - if it is possible).
>
> Also, I have been e-mailed that there are some fixes to this where one
> can type (for example) 3:sd(1,a)/kernel which means 3rd drive, second on
> the SCSI chain.  If this is available, how can I get a boot floppy
> (boot.flp) with this on it?
>
> Remember, at this point I can't even compile.

You could download one of the "snap" versions and use the new boot
code on their disk to get the "3:" syntax.

I can't build older kernels, or even standard kernels at this point
on my machines.  All my machines have large amounts of modifications
installed.  Sorry.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---