Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:16:42 +0100
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   newsyslog unhappy

I'd like to rotate my maillogs at 24:00, but leaving the
default-as-installed settings which apparently are as I desired (24
rotation), one machine rotates at 22:00 and another rotates at 19:00
which, well, won't hack it for us.

So I thought I'd stick in my own settings, but it looks like I'm
having "typical fun with Unix man pages and tick marks".

I get this mail, every hour, which is causing my attitude to be also malformed:

newsyslog: malformed at:
/var/log/maillog                        664  365   *  24@`T000000'    Z

... but I can't see what's wrong with the above based on this
newsyslog man page:

when    The when field can consist of an interval, a specific time, or
              both.  If the when field is an asterisk (`*') log rotation will
              depend only on the contents of the size field.  Otherwise, the
              when field consists of an optional interval in hours, optionally
              followed by an `@'-sign and a time in a restricted ISO 8601 for-
              mat.  If a time is specified, the log file will only be trimmed
              if newsyslog is run within one hour of the specified time.  If an
              interval is specified, the log file will be trimmed if that many
              hours have passed since the last rotation.  When both a time and
              an interval are specified, both conditions must be satisfied for
              the rotation to take place.

              The particular format of the time is
              [[[[[cc]yy]mm]dd][T[hh[mm[ss]]]]]. Optional date fields default
              to the appropriate component of the current date; optional time
              fields default to midnight; hence if today is January 22, 1999,
              the following date specifications are all equivalent:

                    `19990122T000000'
                    `990122T000000'
                    `0122T000000'
                    `22T000000'