Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 15:28:34 +1100
From:      "Duraid Madina" <duraid@fl.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Insane performance regression?

Hi all,

	I have a CPU-bound (well, 'malloc-bound' ;) program which takes
about 20 seconds to run on a 'fast' PC (Pentium3-1000, Athlon XP1600
etc) - the source is available as
http://www.idesign.fl.net.au/malloc_pain/malloc_pain.tar.gz (NOTE: you
*will* need GCC 3 (or more recent) to compile it). At any rate, I did
the cvsup/buildkernel/buildworld thing this morning (I'm running
5-CURRENT on an SMP box), and now that same program takes about half an
hour to run, rather than 20 seconds. Curiously, it reports about 20%
system time (whereas previously there was negligible system time)

	Any idea what might be going on?

	Duraid

P.S. to run it:

gcc -c mt19937b-int.c
g++ Graph.cpp mt19937b-int.o
./a.out

Known to compile okay with GCC 3.0.3 and 3.1