Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2019 19:38:31 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        hw <hw@adminart.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dead slow update servers

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 19:04:23 +0200, hw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are you guys seriously expecting users to download packages they want to
> install at speeds around 25kb/s?  I'm already annoyed about them being
> painfully slow when downloads are 1000 times faster than that.

I've just tested with unaltered default settings, and I get
varying speeds of 1 - 1.5 MB/s. A whole desktop system update
(download, extraction, installation) didn't require more than
15 minutes.

However, a download speed of 25 kB/s definitely looks like
something is wrong...

> Unless there is a solution to this problem, I will probably give up on
> trying out freebsd right away because usage in production even on my
> servers at home, let alone at work, simply won't be feasible.

Before you can check for a solution to a problem, you need to
identify the actual problem. Is it within your network, or is
some server you're downloading from too slow? This should be
easy to find out if you provide some information, for example,
which mirror you're using, the exact command you use to update,
and so on.

Also keep in mind that if you're performing your update at the
same time many other users are doing it, the individual speed
will of course go down.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany