Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 16:33:02 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Stephen Hurd <deuce@lordlegacy.org>, Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Please, it's spelled "Lockerbie".
>
> > > including this stuff that we don't have any hard evidence that
> > > he actually did."
> > This is idiotic.  We have proof, which we have shared with our
> > allies.
>
> No.  You have circumstantial evidence, consisting of clues which are
> so outrageously, stupidly obvious that a significant portion of us
> non-americans are speculating that it may, quite frankly, have been
> fabricated in a hurry on the evening of September 11th.  Meanwhile,
> you seem to be ignoring equally strong circumstantial evidence
> pointing towards Iraq, which would exonerate Usama bin Laden - but
> that would force W to admit to a mistake, maybe even apologize to the
> Taliban, which would not look good on CNN at all.

The spellings I've seen have been "Osama", not "Usama"; which is
correct?

Yes, Iraq is a state that is known to sponsor terrorism.

On the other hand, we have arrested over 50 people in the U.S.;
some as material witnesses, but the majority as people involved
in some way in the attack, if only in a support role.  In other
words, we have culprits in hand, and we know their chain of
command.

> I'd suggest you take a trip to your local Blockbuster and rent "Wag
> the Dog", and, if you can get hold of it, "The Second Civil War" (it
> was made-for-TV, so I'm not sure you can get it on video).

I've seen both of those.  If the events are so frivolous as
you imply, then the U.S. is more concerned with internal
politics, rather than world opinion.  If that's the case, then
we would simply have attacked already, and to hell with what
people think of us, if they are determined to think evil of
us, as you imply.

> > I'd be perfectly happy with a grand jury and sealed testimony,
> > which would not compromise U.S. Intelligence assets.  If Osama
> > bin Laden would be so kind as to turn himself in to the world
> > court, I'm sure that the information would be presented in the
> > case against him, under sealed testimony.
>
> In other words, an unchallengeable witch trial.  I'm not saying the
> guy's a saint, but in this particular instance you may be barking up
> the wrong tree.

So your only acceptable level of proof would indicate what we
know and how we know it, and potentially result in the deaths
of the few sympatheitic people highly enough placed to make a
positive difference in the future of their own organizations
by acting as their moral compas.

> > They "publically expressed outrage"?  Was this before or after
> > they stated that a religious court should judge him, and we
> > should accept the outcome, if the activist zealots of the same
> > stripe as Osama bin Laden found in his favor?
>
> Before - and also before the US responded to their public expression
> of outrage and sympathy with what can be summed up as "we're going to
> turn your country into the world's largest parking lot".

Bombing is _nothing_ compared to the other extreme options
available.

> > > This sounds a lot like the traditional hostage situation... only
> > > now, the United States is holding an ENTIRE COUNTRY hostage.
> >
> > This is a gross misrepresentation of the situation.  The U.S.
> > is in no way acting as terrorists: terrorists bomb first, and
> > claim credit afterwards -- assuming that they don't say to
> > themselves "Oh shit... I've stepped in it this time...".
>
> Oh?  You need to read up on modern history (particularly European
> history from the 1960s and on, with emphasis on France, Germany and
> Italy).

You have a lot of terrorists claiming credit before the act
over there, do you?  It would seem to me with that information,
you should be able to prevent the acts.

-- Terry