Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 03:01:01 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@wasabisystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Competition

> You mean "The NetBSD code base is easy enough to copy and call our
> own. Why don't we just do it. Surely they aren't going to complain --
> after all, it is all open source. It worked for Alpha, after all."

Heh.  This is a historically "interesting" perspective and suggests
that personal bias may have overpowered the reality of actual events
for someone.  :-)

I've certainly never heard anyone refer to the Alpha code as "our
own", from either a personal or a FreeBSD project perspective, and I
would openly challenge you to find any such assertions on a FreeBSD
mailing list.  I can nonetheless save you the trouble of looking
because they don't exist.

I believe the only person who could credibly claim the Alpha bits as
"his own" in any sense would be Chris Demetriou, and I've never heard
that fact openly disputed by anyone in the BSD community.  That's his
copyright plainly at the top of alpha/alpha/cpuconf.c and we all
remember his work at CMU as well.

To be more factual than emotional about this point in general, I don't
think the FreeBSD community feels a great deal of ownership for the
*overwhelming majority* of FreeBDS code base given that we're not the
authors of 4.4 BSD or the GPL toolchain used to build it, we're merely
some of the latest custodians.  Hell, anyone who's not on crack
clearly feels that way given that it's a fundamental truth we've lived
with since the project started.

It's also the case that none of us would (or should) be putting code
into the open source domain in the first place if we didn't WANT it to
be used by any and all takers, and anyone in the NetBSD community who
felt that code was "stolen" in some way for the FreeBSD/alpha port
would be missing the entire idea behind this common exercise we're all
engaged in.

What sits in our mutual CVS repositories is not "our" code or "your"
code by any meaningful definition since both FreeBSD and NetBSD
represent hugely inter-dependent collections of code provided by
everyone from the FSF to Hewlett-Packard.  The alpha port, for
example, would be little more than a comparatively useless academic
exercise in running *BSD on the Alpha were it not for gcc and the work
of hundreds of other individuals who've all provided vital pieces of
the jigsaw puzzle which make up a usable operating system on any
architecture.

To claim ownership (to the degree that anything can be "taken" or
"stolen") over an entire port of the BSD operating system is simply
claiming too much from an engineering perspective and misses the
concept of open source development besides.

- Jordan