Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:35:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org>
To:        Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FM Radio

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Cameron Grant wrote:

> > I went and bought some nice speakers, got the FM radio working pretty well
> > via XMradio and my Hauppage card, now I want the mixer to finally work.  I
> > have a Intel DK440LX mobo, it has an on-board CS4236, so I guessed that I
> > needed the csa driver.  I don't have that in my config, so I wanted to
> > kldload it, but then I looked at the available modules in current, there
> > were two of them: snd_csa.ko and snd_csapcm.ko.  There's no mention of
> > either of them in the csa manpage, so I don't know which (or both?) to
> > load, especially since my kernel has pcm in it already.
> >
> > Anyone know which one I need to move me towards getting the mixer working?
> > Thanks.
>
> neither, csa is for pci crystal chips and cs4236 is isa.

Thanks, Cameron.  I can't get either the mic or cd inputs to the audio to
work (line input works fine, and catting to /dev/audio is great).  I think
this is because /dev/mixer seems not to work (at least all apps complain
about it).  I have to use patchcords to switch from listening to FM to
listening to CD (both patched to line input now).

Should this work?  I have the audio line from the cd to the motherboard
connector plugged in; no tones input on the external mic line cause any
sound out.

I have been using xmix to set the mixer levels; maybe that's somehow
wrong?

Chuck Robey             | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org| electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.