Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:04:33 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net>
Subject:   Re: How to print to hp JetDirect/LaserJet 1300 Network printer?

On Saturday 30 October 2004 12:56 pm, Jay O'Brien wrote:
> I'm confused, as there seem to be many conflicting directions
> out there. http://Linuxprinting.org is overwhelming.
>
> I'm a new user of 4.10. I want to print to my hp 1300 LaserJet,
> which has a JetDirect network server and is connected to my LAN.
> The Win machines on the LAN print fine to the printer.
>
> The printer is assigned the fixed IP 192.168.1.40. I can ping
> that address from my FreeBSD computer.
>
> Suggestions?

It is about as simple a printer to print to that you can get. On the other
hand, you have problems configuring all possibilities. I use

lp|HPLJ2:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=psrvr:\
        :rp=L1:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lj.sh:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :mx#0
for my printcap entries. I have a netgear printsever and it is l1 on the
server. I can't lp a file because it stairsteps but I want to print from
kword and don't have any problem.

Kent