Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:44:44 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        Dudley <goingnowhere@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck failing

At 08:33 AM 10/30/2007, Dudley wrote:
>Note: If there's a more appropriate mailing list, please let me know.
>
>I've been running a FreeBSD 4.11 installation for a couple of years without
>issue. Unfortunately, one of the drives on the 3Ware Escalada 8500 RAID
>array died leaving the array in a degraded state. The drive likely died in
>an outage which also corrupted the filesystem. That said, the FreeBSD
>install is still able to boot until it attempts to mount the filesystem.
>
>During the boot process, I get the following error:
>
>Can't stat /dev/twed0s1a: Bad file Descriptor
>Can't stat /dev/twed0s1a: Bad file Descriptor
>/dev/twed0s1a: CAN"T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
>/dev/twed0s1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
>
>It drops me in to single user mode allowing me to run fsck. If I run just
>fsck then, it runs successfully but doesn't check twed0s1a which means on
>reboot the problem is still there. If I force fsck on that partition by
>running `fsck /dev/twed0s1a` then I get the same errors as above.
>
>Please let me know what other steps I should take to get the system booting
>again.
>
>Thanks in advance,

Your /etc/fstab has that filesystem marked for a later secondary fsck run,
not the primary one.  You can run fsck manually on any filesystem, just
specify that on the fsck commandline.

fsck works better when the system is in single user mode, on non-mounted
filesystems.  If fsck cannot fix errors, run diagnostics from the hard
drive manufacturer on the hard drive(s) as they are likely failing.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.