Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 04:13:18 -0400
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CFLAGS Optimization

Mike Smith wrote:

> It would be more accurate to say that Linux and FreeBSD have a compiler
> with optimiser bugs, but that's widely known.  Don't sound so surprised. 8)

Don't all compilers have optimization bugs?  I mean, if they didn't,
then they'd probably just optimize the code without you asking.  I think
Borland C++ (3.0-5.0) used to have some optimization bugs.  You know
what the best optimization is?  Replacing those bubble sorts with
quicksorts, etc.

Basically, optimization levels above -O are not supported, so if you
have problems, it's not our fault. 8-)  Basically, stay away from
optimizations with mission-critical stuff such as the kernel and
userland.  For ports, it's OK.