Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 09:35:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        amigus@cs.mun.ca, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Diskless FreeBSD

> Make sure you preallocate the swapfile.

Does anyone know *why* is it necessary to preallocate the swap ? I
believe it wasn't necessary back in 1.1 times.

I am asking because I plan to support diskless for our lab (50+
systems, but very few of them are expected to be in use simultaneously),
and preallocating some 20MB of swap for each machine seems unnecessary
expensive.

I am currently working on the netboot code, so I am open to suggestions.
I'd like to implement code to reset the swap file to size 0 before
transferring control to the kernel, or, if preallocation is really
necessary, I'd rather create a file with a unique big hole of
appropriate size, so that it does not occupy disk space when not
necessary.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/