Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:13:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Tom Wadlow <wadlow@pilot.net>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet options on 2.2-GAMMA

> > recognize it at a zp0. Tried it with all non-essential devices disabled,
> > and with all enabled, and reasonable permutations between.  Gotten into
> > the Emergency shell, and looked for it with ifconfig too, just to be sure
> > (though if the kernel doesn't acknowledge it, ifconfig sure as hell isn't
> > gonna see it....)
>
> Sounds like it's just one of those situations where either the card or
> the Laptop's PCCARD support is just not what FreeBSD expects.

The driver and the card aren't agreeing.

> The PAO folks are, unless I'm very much mistaken (and Nate would know
> a lot better than I about that), undertaking the far more difficult
> task of making their drivers simply auto-load when a card is inserted.
> That would make their drivers fairly divergent just by that fact
> alone.

The PAO folks have extended the generic code to do alot of these things,
but the code in -current (and 2.2) would work if we could find a clean
way to hook things in sysinstall.  Both Poul and I hacked on the code,
incorporated PAO patches, as well as incorporated external patches.  We
also need to document how to set things up, but you know how well most
developers do that. :(

Good documentation could probably be done easier than doing the install
thing.  The PAO solution is not a long-term workable solution IMHO.

Nate