Date:      Thu, 08 May 2003 10:03:36 -0700
From:      "Greg Smith" <freebsd_mail@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ideal laptop recommendations?

Kevin wrote:
>Darryl wrote:
>>   Note that you don't have to preserve the IBM software.  You can
always
>>   wipe the disk clean and install FreeBSD onto the entire disk.
It's
>>   only if you want to dual-boot where this becomes a problem.  And,
>>   it's definitely an issue, as some (many? most? all?) Thinkpads DO
NOT
>>   COME WITH WINDOWS RECOVERY CDROMS.  Unless you pay extra
($20-$30???)
>>   and order the recovery CDROMs from IBM (I think they're "free" if
you
>>   get them within the first 30 days after getting a Thinkpad), the
only
>>   way to "reinstall" windows is via the special recovery partition
(and
>>   using it REQUIRES an intact/unchanged boot sector).
>
>For some period after you buy a ThinkPad (1 year?) IBM has shipped the
>CD free on request. IF YOU GET A THINKPAD, ALWAYS REQUEST THIS!

The last times I bought a ThinkPad they told me 30 days for free, but
regardless it makes sense to get it right away for free.

Note that if you have the CD you don't need to preserve the convenient
recovery partition.  The Windows recovery will work just as well with
the CD, and will give you the option to restore the recovery partition
as well, although the CD might not be traveling with you when you most
need it.

Greg