Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 2009 06:49:59 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: is this booting info correct?

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 07:33:58 +0800, Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> Users with Microsoft/Windows knowledge of how a hard drive is configured
> may have a terminology issue with FreeBSD. Microsoft/Windows and FreeBSD
> use the word partition to mean different (but related) things.
>
> FreeBSD and Microsoft/Windows have primary-partitions, but they call
> them different things. FreeBSD calls the Microsoft/Windows
> primary-partition a slice.

FreeBSD's slice is a "DOS primary partition".
FreeBSD's partition is comparable (but not equal to) a "logical
volume inside a DOS extended partition".

> The number of hard drive primary-partitions/slices is determined by the
> motherboard BIOS (Basic input output system), not the operating system.
> Standard motherboard BIOS limits hard-drives to 4 main divisions

The limitation to 4 slices is due to DOS limitations that
are still present for legacy in the PC sector.

> Each of those are called primary-partitions in Microsoft/Windows
> terminology and slices in FreeBSD terminology.

Yes.

> Each primary-partition/slice can be sub-divided into smaller chunks. In
> Microsoft/Windows, they are called extended-partitions.

No. As far as I understood and listed before, a "DOS primary
partition" cannot be subdivided. That's why the "DOS extended
partition" has been "invented" which allows subdivion by the
means of "logical volumes". A "DOS extended partition" takes
the place of a "DOS primary partition".

> They are
> implemented very differently and are not compatible with FreeBSD.

I've not had problems accessing them so far.

> In
> FreeBSD the sub-divisions are called partitions.

But only the subdivisions of a FreeBSD slice are called this
way.

> Each one of the 4 max primary-partitions/slices can be made bootable.

But not all at the same time. :-)

> The first physical track of the allocated space of each
> primary-partition/slice has an initial sector (512 byte block) that is
> called the boot sector. If it contains boot up code the motherboard BIOS
> considers it to be bootable.

Yes.

> Each physical hard drive in the PC has it's own MBR (Master Boot
> Record). The MBR is located in sector-0 of the first physical track on
> the hard drive. The standard MBR in Microsoft/Windows and FreeBSD
> defaults to booting the first primary-partition/slice allocated on the
> first hard drive cabled to the PC.

No. The MBR usually branches to the first slice it finds that
has the bootable flag set. It doesn't have to be the first
one on the disk.

In case of FreeBSD, feel free to read "man boot" which gives
a good introduction to the topic.

> There are MBR booting programs that you can load into the MBR on the
> first physical cabled hard drive to scan for other bootable
> primary-partitions/slices on this hard drive and any other hard drives
> cabled to the PC. It displays a menu giving you the option to choose
> which one you want to boot from. This gives you the ability to have more
> that one operating system installed on your PC at one time.

Exact.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany