Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2012 13:43:43 +0000 (UTC)
From:      jb <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cant boot 9-RELEASE on Intel L440GX+ based system

Sergey Listopad <psychosensor <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > I would suggest that you get a Live CD from one of Linux distros: Knoppix,
> > Debian, Fedora.
> > It looks criticial to learn more about your disk (manufacturer, model, etc) -
> > you get it with 'dmesg', and about your disk partitions - you get it with
> > 'cfdisk',or 'fdisk', or 'parted'
> > Post it all here.
>
> HDD is COMPAQ AD00932372 9.1Gb 10000RPM
> It is autopartitioned by bsd installer on step 2 (boot without HDD and
> insert it when kernel is booting).

You want to boot your system with hd in place.
Here is some additional info:
Hardware supported by FB-9
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/hardware.html
The ahc(4) driver supports the following SCSI host adapter chips and SCSI
controller cards:
Adaptec AIC7896 host adapter chip

ahc(4) driver:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ahc&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+9.0-RELEASE
Read it.

On my FB-9:
$ kldstat -v |grep -i ahc
		55 ahc
		52 pci/ahc_pci
		51 isa/ahc_isa
		50 eisa/ahc_eisa
		48 pci/ahci
		47 atapci/ahci
		46 ahci/ahcich
		72 pci/ata_ahci
		71 atapci/ata_ahci_ata
So, the kernel includes the drivers.
Also:
$ sysctl -a | grep -i ahc
options	AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT
device	ahci
device	ahc
dev.ahci.0.%desc: Intel ICH8M AHCI SATA controller
dev.ahci.0.%driver: ahci
dev.ahci.0.%location: slot=31 function=2 handle=\_SB_.PCI0.SATA
dev.ahci.0.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x8086 device=0x2829 subvendor=0x17aa
subdevice=0x20a7 class=0x010601
dev.ahci.0.%parent: pci0
dev.ahcich.0.%desc: AHCI channel
dev.ahcich.0.%driver: ahcich
dev.ahcich.0.%location: channel=0
dev.ahcich.0.%parent: ahci0
dev.ahcich.1.%desc: AHCI channel
dev.ahcich.1.%driver: ahcich
dev.ahcich.1.%location: channel=2
dev.ahcich.1.%parent: ahci0

Do what I said in previous post - look at BIOS and get dmesg from Linux live
CD (it may show a hint about something specific on controller/driver or hd, or
cause of trouble if it does not boot with Linux too).
jb