Date:      Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:40:32 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org, Chris Dionissopoulos <dionch@freemail.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Traffic quota features in IPFW

--nextPart1851428.8rYmtsePCh

On Saturday 16 July 2005 17:02, Chris Dionissopoulos wrote:
> Hi ppl, ( and sorry for cross posting)
>
> I review Andrey's  Elsukov patch for adding "bound" support in ipfw, and i
> decide to  push a little forward this feature.

Sorry to be blunt, but I don't see the point in this feature nor do I think=
=20
it's a good idea.  All it does is adding overhead to every packet that is=20
processed by IPFW.  You might argue that this overhead is fairly little, bu=
t=20
if you combine the last ten "neat to have though not really necessary"=20
features this adds up.  Also the code is getting more and more hacked up. =
=20
Your feature might be nicely done, but it adds to the main switch-loops=20
making them more and more unreadable until it all falls over and nobody is=
=20
willing to touch the code anymore.  I have seen (too) much ipfw code lately=
=20
while tieing together lose ends in the IPv6-import and it's already messy=20
enough.

I urge you to reconsider if we really need this.  If you think we can't liv=
e=20
without it, it'd be nice if you could come up with a clean(er) way to exten=
d=20
IPFW with additional stuff like this without impact to performance and=20
maintainability for the common case (without the magic foobar-option of the=
=20
day).  Thanks.

BTW: This function can be done with a three line awk-skript without any eff=
ect=20
on performance.  Of course you will lose some precision, but I don't see=20
applications where you have to be *that* percise.

> You can see the whole picture in there:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D80642
> and there:
> http://butcher.heavennet.ru/
>
> In my patch, 3 new options are added:
> 1. "below <VALUE>" (which is the same option as Andrey's "bound" option, I
> just rename it) 2. "above <VALUE>" which is the oposite option of "below".
> Match rules when the counter is above <value> 3. "check-quota" (which is
> the same option as Andrey's "check-bound" , but now applies to both "abov=
e"
> and "below" options).
>
> Notes:
> 1. Patch is against releng_6.
> 2. I also include a more compicated example which is (IMHO) a complete
> traffic quota+shaping solution for a small (or not so small)  ISP.
> 3. For installation, follow the instructions Adrey publish in his webspac=
e:
> http://butcher.heavennet.ru/
> 4. Patch doesn't breaks ipfw ABI (today) , because  adds new options at t=
he
> end of list. If you apply this patch in a month or so, I cannot guarantee
> success.
> 5. Please test, and send me your feedbacks.
>

>  I 'll be happy if you find usefull these features and if any developer
> commits this patch in current or releng_6 branch.

=2D-=20