Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 95 11:03 WET
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changes in -current..TEST please

[0]On a purely IDE system I get "panic: cannot mount root" :-(

I used to run into this message on 1.1.5.1 systems all the time and once
in a while on 2.0.5.

Turned out that it was caused by the root filesystem being dirty in
some slight way and the root mount/fsck can't cope for some reason.

Simply boot -s or boot from a floppy, fsck, reboot and the drive would always
reappear.

It may not be the same problem you are seeing, but give it a try.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Fastest Route)| demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem               |"A what?"
...decvax!fw.ast.com!nemesis!uhclem         |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983