Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:26:39 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Thomas Widlundh <tw@ettnet.se>
Cc:        freeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XF86Config - mouse

> From: "Thomas Widlundh" <tw@ettnet.se>
> To: "freeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
> Subject: XF86Config - mouse
> Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:22:14 +0200
>
> Hi ,
> I have had a very troublesome time to get X to work (4.1.0)
> At last I got X to start with Kde (2.1.1.) and all looked smooth.
> But my mouse went crazy and the pointer put itself at the edge of the
> screen, completely
> unusable. When I touch the mouse, the only thing that happens is a
> popping up menu trembling like
> crazy.
>
> My mouse is a two button and one wheel PS/2. Just a plain ordinary
> mouse.
> The appropiate sections of my XF86Config look like this:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier    "XFree86 Configured"
> Screen 0    "Screen0" 0 0
> InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier    "Mouse0"
> Driver        "mouse"
> Option        "Protocol" "PS/2"
> Option         "Device" "/dev/mouse"
> EndSection

    I'm no expert, but this has always worked for me:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier	"Mouse1"
    Driver	"mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "auto"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
    Option "Buttons"       "5"
    Option "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
EndSection

/dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/sysmouse, so that should be fine.
but I remember having all kinds of trouble (read: erratic mouse
behavior) with anything other than "auto" for the "Protocol" option.

--
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
3:24PM up 3 days, 12:24, 8 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.05, 0.01