Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 20:50:43 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        krygier@kph.uni-mainz.de, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: special memory device

>The problem I have, is that if I create a driver for this chip,
>how do I ask the PCI support code for 4 consecutive 16MB regions
>of the PCI bus?  From what I can tell, the PCI code will only let
>you map an address space as it is defined in the PCI configuration
>space registers.  For the Tundra Universe chip, the registers
>that configure the special PCI slave image are not in the PCI
>configuration space.

   The obvious question this raises is: How do you do address space conflict
resolution if you ignore the assignments made by the PCI BIOS?
   It is possible to map any arbitrary physical address range when not using
the PCI map routine. In fact if you use a device driver to do this (via the
device mmap interface, which uses the VM "device pager"), the PCI mapping code
wouldn't be involved in any case. For examples of this, look at the handling
of /dev/vga (ttyv0...syscons.c...scmmap()). Very trivial.

-DG

David Greenman