Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 21:53:52 -0500
From:      Andrew Y Ng <ayn@AndrewNg.com>
To:        Chris Doherty <chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dstumbler crashes freebsd

--mxv5cy4qt+RJ9ypb

On  0, Chris Doherty <chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 08:26:05PM -0500, Andrew Y Ng said:=20
> > Hi, so I'll be at the airport for a good few hours tomorrow so I think =
I'm
> > going to use Boingo or something like that to get online. Obviously Fre=
eBSD
> > or Linux aren't officially supported. But I guess all I need is a tool =
> > scan for SSIDs. Right now I can do `wicontrol -L` as root and I think it
> > detects APs. I also tried dstumbler when it was mentioned on this list =
last
> > week, but for some reason when I tried it today, like with `sudo dstumb=
ler
> > wi0`, it just crashes my laptop. I was playing with ifconfig and wicont=
rol
> > and it crashed my laptop also.
>=20
> what version are you using? I've used dstumbler on
>=20
> 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #14: Wed Dec 18 07:53:23 PST 2002

here's mine:
FreeBSD home.andrewng.com 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #4: Wed Nov 27
02:07:43 CST 2002     root@aynlaptop.austin.rr.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/AYN
i386

it's weird coz I was able to use it before, but now when I do it it
completely crashes my laptop. :(

> with wi driving a Lucent Orinoco card without any problems, and it works
> fine (dwepdump doesn't seem to work with that card, but that's a different
> problem).
>=20
> wi also auto-associates for me. FWIW, though, I've yet to discover a
> wireless network in an airport. :-)

my girlfriend was able to use her iBook at LAX with Boingo a week ago, the
Austin airport has Boingo and Wayport. They're not free, but the price is
pretty reasonable considering i will be stuck there for a few hours
tomorrow... :(

--=20
andrew y ng  <ayn@andrewng.com>  http://andrewng.com

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9BFC594C
fingerprint : 46a1 29ff 893a 0381 dc81  1e1e bed8 e882 9bfc 594c=20

--mxv5cy4qt+RJ9ypb

--mxv5cy4qt+RJ9ypb--