Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 12:14:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Hiroyuki HANAI <hanai@astec.co.jp>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Local translations of www.freebsd.org

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Hiroyuki HANAI wrote:

> OK, we are finishing the Japanese tranlation of www.FreeBSD.org pages.
> We want answers to some questions.
>
>   1. Will they be provided on www.FreeBSD.org?
>
>   2. If so, where is the "root" page?
>
>   3. Will they be put into the CVS repository on freefall?
>
> We now are working with the assumption of answers to above, that:
>
>   1. Yes.
>
>   2. http://www.FreeBSD.org/ja_JP.EUC/
>
>   3. Yes.
>
> Could you give me any idea?

That was the assumption I had.

There are two localization issues here.  First is translations of
the english stuff.  These should basically be replicas of the
english pages, but stored in language subdirectories like
ja_JP.EUC.  All such native language pages will always be built
and carried by all mirrors.  We have gobs of mirror sites around
the world and if a few drop off because of extra space demands in
mirroring multiple languages, then so be it.  An German speaker
in Japan should be able to get German from www.ja.freebsd.org and
a Japanese speaker in Germany should should be able to get
Japanese from www.de.freebsd.org.

Second is additional native language pages which, for the moment,
I rather not deal with in the repository.  Currently a number of
mirrors have their additional pages as the root of the mirror,
with a link to the mirrored pages.  An alterative would be to
standardize on www.xx.freebsd.org/local/ for local pages.
Www.freebsd.org would ship out a "This server has no local pages"
page in that directory and mirrors that have extra pages could
just redirect that URL to their locally maintained pages.

Thoughts?

-john