Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:36:38 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        "Carlos D." <dantespeaks@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hello i have a question

At 06:36 AM 3/29/02 +0000, you wrote:

>hi, im writing from south america and i have a, maybe, stupid question, i
>have an old thinkpad 560, and i want to know how can i install freebsd in
>it without copying all the release in the hard drive, because its too
>small(800mg), how can i configure the installation (supposing i begin it
>from the 2 floppys) to read all the packages from another pc connected by
>a paralel cable in the printer port?? its any way to do that?

Hello, Carlos. :)

Yes, installation using PLIP is definitely possible, though I have never
done it. I believe that all you have to do is select the parallel port as
the network device you wish to use for the install.

There is some limited information about installing this way on this page:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-diff-media.html

And a direct reference to it in the FreeBSD FAQ:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/install.html#INSTALL-PLIP

Let us know how it goes and if you run into trouble with it!

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM