Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 14:42:18 -0700
From:      "Neil C. Jensen" <njensen@salsa.habaneros.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   getty/modem reset problems

I'm experiencing a problem with dialin connections to my machine running =
2.1R.=20

I can dial-in and establish a ppp connection or terminal connection =
without problems. However, the next time I dial-in, the modem answers =
and after 1-2 seconds, promptly disconnects. I can then dial-in again, =
and connect without incident.=20

This is repeatable. Successful logon, followed by unsuccessful attempt, =
followed by successful logon, followed by unsuccessful attempt followed =
by .....(you get the picture)

If I try 'tip' after I have had a successful login (i.e. before I get =
the unsuccessful login) I get a 'link down' message. In addition, there =
is no sign of getty listening to the port when I do a 'ps' command. =
After dialing up and being immediately disconnected, I can tip into the =
modem, and can see the getty process.

My modem is a USR Sportster. =20

Is something failing to reset the modem or getty?  Why would it be reset =
by an unsuccessful login?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Neil Jensen