Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:22:53 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 CD-ROM : Package dependencies up the creek ? (fwd)

    > I think it's good to have a short list of "highly desirable" packages
    > in a list right at install time, but leave the full list for after
    > the user gets past that first reboot.  And by having an initial short
    > list, we could perhaps make sure that all packages on that short list
    > are on the first CD-ROM (the CD a user boots off to do an install).
    >
    > Just my thoughts, after my first-ever installs of FreeBSD...

Good thinking!

Short list that would be appropriate for systems we have here:

a2ps
acroread + it's dependencies in linux-emu (fvwm in default)
apache
bash
ghostscript + ghostview (manuals!)
gmake-3.75
less
lynx
perl5
pine or elm
unzip
vim (what would life be without Bram Molenaar :-)
zip

This list is what we I found on almost all the systems we have here
(mostly web systems and software development machines). And the
dependencies for these packages should be included as well. Ask one
question that says: 'Install default packages (YES/no)' and of you go.
Even the quick guys that want a minimal setup will be happy.

Another thing: Maybe someone (why is everybody pointing at me ??) should
invest some time and create a number of package-packages, profiles of
packages mostly used together/weak dependencies. Like:

X interactive user:
	olvwm, xv, acroread, gvim, gnuplot, xearth, xroaches, etc.
Programmer:
	perl, xxgdb, vim, etc.
Web system:
	perl, apache, msql, trafshow, vim, etc.
Console user:
	mh, pine, elm, zsh, bash, vim, etc.
etc.

And you just tick a few profiles that sound about appropriate. The
installation merges all the profiles into one big list of packages to
install, asks for CD4 and does its job.

Two things have to be done, the functionality for the profiles has to be
added to sysinstall and the profiles have to be created. I have no idea
how to do this (anyone with good ideas should tell me) and make sure
that we get a reasonable set which might be usefull and can go on the
next SNAP CD, but I have no problem in being the centre of gravity
there.

Nick Hibma.

P.S.:
And oh, by the way, guys, you're wonderfull. I spend about 14 hours (at
work and home) a day behind a computer running FreeBSD and love every
second of it.

P.P.S.:
Microsoft: Why use so many buttons on a keyboard when choice is so much
           simpler with a 2 button mouse? :)