Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 10:58:46 +0100
From:      Marco Masotti <mc7953@mclink.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mc7953@mclink.it
Subject:   Tip blocked when calling a mgetty system

Dear FreeBSD mates,

I'm raveling into my own thoughts for a little problem with tip.

I've setup a dialin SunOS machine with mgetty-0.99.

I use tip from a 2.1.5 Fbsd to call up that machine and to do a general
purposes clear text login, but my login session just hangs after the
SunOS run the login shell - I only get the characters typed at the tip
echoed back to tip itself by, apparently, by the SunOS csh.

I traced the character being sent by the SunOS mgetty, and I've got the
following being generated by the SunOS end, just before printing the
shell prompt on the tip screen. It looks like an escape sequence, whose
net effect is to block tip blankly.

ESC [1;24r ESC [ 24;1H CR

Worth noting that whenever I call the SunOS mgetty with program
different than tip, even on the same FreeBSD machine - i.e the term mode
of ppp - the escape sequence is ignored and the call proceed without any
hitch.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Marco