Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 02:41:47 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "."@babolo.ru
To:        HP889@aol.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com driver problems

HP889@aol.com writes:
> Try to front end your machine with a switch...the 5 cards is most likely your
> problem. With each device you increase your bus contention (ie worsen the
> worst case bus master scenario)...either that or get a 4 port card that is
> more efficient than 5 individual cards.
I have some opposite expierence.
This is my biggest router:
0gw~(1)>uname -a
FreeBSD gw.pike 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Wed Sep 19 06:29:38 MSD 2001     babolo@shikster.pike.ru:/tmp/babolo/usr/src/sys/gw  i386
0gw~(2)>ifconfig -a
dc0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
dc1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
dc2: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
dc3: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
xl1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
xl2: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
6 used 100 M ethernet interfaces among others.
dc0..dc3 is one card.
xl0 cards are workaround for the fact that processor
spent MUCH more time in interrupt state with dc driver
than with xl driver with the same load.
Yes, I try find xl x 4 card but no success

--
@BABOLO      http://links.ru/