Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2007 15:56:11 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Krassimir Slavchev <krassi@bulinfo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Detecting USB devices at startup?

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 03:28:55PM +0200, Krassimir Slavchev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have strange problem with my at91rm9200 board.
>
> At boot I get:
> ohci0: <AT91 integrated ohci controller> mem 0xdfe00000-0xdfefffff irq
> 23 on atmelarm0
> ohci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> ohci0: [ITHREAD]
> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> usbd_get_config_desc: confidx=0, bad desc len=9 type=36
> uhub_explore: usb_new_device failed, error=INVAL
> uhub0: device problem (INVAL), disabling port 1
> usb_new_device: set address 2 failed - trying a port reset
> usb_new_device: set address 2 failed - trying a port reset
> usbd_new_device: addr=2, getting first desc failed
> uhub_explore: usb_new_device failed, error=IOERROR
> uhub0: device problem (IOERROR), disabling port 2
>
> But if I unplug and plug the usb device:
>
> umass0: <vendor 0x3538 USB Mass Storage Device, class 0/0, rev
> 2.00/1.00, addr 2> on uhub0
> umass0: SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
> umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <Generic USB Flash Disk 0.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 250MB (512000 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 250C)
>
> Any ideas why this happens?

This is more guessing, but maybe the PLLB isn't really stable yet.
We wait until the controller tells us when it is stable, but considered
how many bugs this controller already has...
Since the PLL has external components it may be specific to your
board, but I assume a safety delay shouldn't hurt anyone.
Or we should init the PLL already inside the bootcode.
On the other hand it already spends much time with the second port,
so there must be enough delay when it comes to the second...

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd@bwct.de           info@bwct.de            support@fizon.de