Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 06:25:24 -0500
From:      "Stephen L. Palmer" <elrond1@earthlink.net>
To:        "'questions-digest@freefall.freebsd.org'" <questions-digest@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD as an IP masqarading gateway (Was:yet another PPP Question)

Along this same line of thought.

  I am a semi-UN*X-literate user, and am trying to do a simialar thing.
I have 2 PC's at home, connected with ne200 ethernet cards.  I have
assigned my FreeBSD box IP address 10.0.0.1, and my Win95 box 10.0.0.2.  My
BSD box has the modem, and a dialup PPP connection with dynamicly assigned
IP address.
  My Goal:  Let my wife start Netcape on the Win95 machine, the BSD box
detects internet bound packets, and does the dial-on-demand PPP conection.
(more on this later)  After 5 to 10 minutes of non-use, the PPP link should
consider itself non-used, and disconnect.
  Where I am:  I can ping either box from the other (netmask 255.255.255.0)
 I can use PPP <service name>, then "dial" from the PPP> prompt to make the
PPP Link on the BSD box.  Then I can surf to my hearts content from the BSD
box.  I  *can-not* reach the internet either via DNS, or numeric IP from
the WIn95 box.  I have enabled Gatewaying in the /etc/sysconfig.  I have
set my FreeBSD box as gateway and DNS server in Win95's TCP/IP config.
  What I lack:
	1:	I am aware that the 10.X.X.X sub-net is not internet-legal.  How do I
make the FreeBSD box "fake" or "mask" the address to allow traffic.
	2:	When I start "ppp -auto <sevrvice-name>", the ppp link starts, and
works, however, it does not wait for an internet-bound packet to start, and
after a timeout, it immediatley re-dials.
	3:	On a completely different tangent, is there a *free* NFS client for
Win95?  I have samba working, but want to play with NFS...  :-)
	4:	If the answer to any of the above is RTFM, I apologize, but I've tried,
so please point me to the appropriate manual or handbook pages   :-)

Thanks,
Stephen L. Palmer
elrond1@earthlink.net

Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> wrote in article