Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 2015 13:53:26 -0400
From:      Rob Rati <lists@midsummerdream.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI-E SSD cards

I was looking at adding an ssd for a zil and/or l2arc to my zfs pool but =
all my hard drive bays are full.  I have free pci-e slots, so I started =
looking at using that instead of a physical drive.  Does anyone have any =
experience with these ssd pci-e cards in FreeBSD? Do they work without =
issue, or are there specific ones I should [not] try to use?

On a technical point, there are a lot of these ssd cards in the m.2 form =
factor.  Using that form factor would allow me to use multiple ssd cards =
and get some zil mirroring for resiliency.  What I haven't been able to =
tell is what type of slot accepts an m.2 form factor card.  I know there =
is the sata-to-sata vs pcie-to-pcie type issue, but everything I have =
found seems to imply that the m.2 form factor card would fit into a =
pci-e 1x-16x slot.  Is that correct?  Does it matter how new the MB is =
if it has pci-e slots?

Rob=