Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 23:56:53 +0200
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
Cc:        Rob King <james.king@wholefoods.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Possible bug in miibus, fxp, and xl?

>>     I'm running 4.5-RELEASE, i386 on a Dell server box. The machine
>> keeps locking up whenever I do large network transfers. At first I
>> thought it was a problem with the on-motherboard ethernet card (xl0),
>> but when I put an fxp-driven card in, and removed kernel support for
>> xl0, it still locks up on large network transfers.

I have experienced this with a certain newer batch of fxp's - They all
caused sudden lockups or reboots (no panics) with a large network load;
this seemed to be the case especially when the fxp was combined with
certain other hardware such as an ahc SCSI controller (although they did
not share any resources..)

Stresstesting a test machine yielded a reboot within the hour. The same
setup with a D-LINK network card (ste device) withstood the same stress
test (a lot of bzip2'ing over NFS and packetflooding) without problems.
Overall the D-LINK card was a very nice experience; if you can't find the
source of your problems, you could try one of those.

--
 Walter Hop <walter@binity.com> | +31 6 24452020 | PGP keyid 0x84813998