Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 17:28:21 -0800
From:      chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: using Wine for the first time problem...

On Sunday 09 December 2001 03:32 pm, Dru wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, chip wrote:
> > First off, I did post this same message on the wine newsgroup and hav=
> > yet to recieve an answer. Second, I did check the wine hq web site an=
> > also failed to find an answer. So hopefully someone here can help.
> > My first attempt at getting a winblows app to work in wine has failed=
,
> > below is the setup as it is on my machine, please review it and let m=
> > know it there is a problem with it:
> > wine version: 20011108 (installed from the FBSD ports system)
> > OS version: FreeBSD 4.4-r
> > Directory Structure: ~/chip/win
> >              ~/chip/win/Program Files (created by the the app I
> > installed) ~/chip/win/windows
> >              ~/chip/win/windows/Desktop
> >              ~/chip/win/windows/Start Menu
> >              ~/chip/win/windows/system
> >             ~/chip/win/windows/Fonts (created by the app I installed,=
> > guess) The relevant config sections:
> >
> > [Drive A]
> > "Path" =3D "/floppy"
> > "Type" =3D "floppy"
> > "Label" =3D "Floppy"
> > "Serial" =3D "87654321"
> > "Device" =3D "/dev/fd0c"
> >
> > [Drive C]
> > "Path" =3D "/usr/home/chip/win"
> > "Type" =3D "hd"
> > "Label" =3D "MS-DOS"
> > "Filesystem" =3D "win95"
> >
> > [Drive D]
> > "Path" =3D "/cdrom"
> > "Type" =3D "cdrom"
> > "Label" =3D "CD-Rom"
> > "Filesystem" =3D "win95"
> > ; make sure that device is correct and has proper permissions !
> > "Device" =3D "/dev/acd0c"
> >
> > [Drive E]
> > "Path" =3D "/tmp"
> > "Type" =3D "hd"
> > "Label" =3D "Tmp Drive"
> > "Filesystem" =3D "win95"
> >
> > [Drive F]
> > "Path" =3D "${HOME}"
> > "Type" =3D "network"
> > "Label" =3D "Home"
> > "Filesystem" =3D "win95"
> >
> > [wine]
> > "Windows" =3D "c:\\windows"
> > "System" =3D "c:\\windows\\system"
> > "Temp" =3D "e:\\"
> > "Path" =3D "c:\\windows;c:\\windows\\system;e:\\;e:\\test;f:\\"
> > "Profile" =3D "c:\\windows\\Profiles\\Administrator"
> > "GraphicsDriver" =3D "x11drv"
> > "ShellLinker" =3D "wineshelllink"
> >
> > With that said and done, here is the crux of the problem:
> >
> > bash-2.05$ wine -winver win95 -managed HTMLKit.exe
> > wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
> >
> > Then I never get any debugger info, it appears to either hang or just=
 not
> > respond, so I end up killing it.
> >
> > The program HTML-Kit is listed as working on wine. According to the w=
ine
> > hq web site I need to run wineinstall or regapi, but neither of those=
 are
> > included in the port for wine, I checked the packing list on freebsd.=
org
> [...]

Hey cool, that's your article. That article it what go me started on this=
=20
endeavor. I did the kernal rebuild, etc and all appears fine. I also refe=
rred=20
to the article you mention - http://www.la-sorciere.de/Wine-HOWTO/book1.h=
tml -
which is where I got the extra directories from.
My system is a FreeBSD only system - no dual-booting for me man. Heh, Heh=
=2E
If you need any more info, just ask.

TIA
Chip=20
chip@wiegand.org
--=20
Windows 95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patc=
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.