Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2014 20:20:01 -0800
From:      <dteske@FreeBSD.org>
To:        <freebsd@fongaboo.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        dteske@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: ZFS on Hardware RAID controller

Abbott-and-Costello-Who's-on-First
> confusion... because apparently people can mean different things when they
> use the term 'JBOD'.
>
> What I have always meant when I say 'JBOD' is a (not really) RAID mode
that
> simply concatenates the drives into one volume in a serial fashion, ie.
> 'spanning'. Most RAID controllers and RAID-enabled NAS units that I have
> interacted with in my life have offered this mode and referred to it as
'JBOD'.

This is not entirely correct. JBOD and RAID-SPAN are two different things.
Your
controller either supports one, or both (aside a host of other options, such
as
RAID-1, RAID-10; and if often RAID-5, maybe RAID-6).

RAID-SPAN is RAID-0. Which is as you describe "simply concatenates the
drives
into one volume in a serial fashion, ie. 'spanning'."

JBOD on the other hand stands for "Just a Bunch of Disks" and is not the
same
as "concatenating the disks" but rather allows your controller to throw the
drives at the Operating System with the attitude of "here, you do it then."

We can actually therefore call ZFS's RAID capabilities, "software RAID".
However, it's a very _good_ software RAID that breaks the old adage that
says "hardware RAID is faster than software RAID."

To highlight the difference of "JBOD" versus "spanning" (aka RAID-0; aka
RAID-
SPAN), take the following use-case example:

1. You take 12 drives and apply spanning logic on the controller

2. You take a controller and put it into JBOD mode

In scenario one (1), your OS still sees a single drive.
In scenario two (2), your OS sees all twelve drives.

Just wanted to clarify that putting a controller into JBOD-mode is not to be
confused with RAID-0 or spanning (which would still be utilizing the
controller's
software; the best benefit of ZFS comes from letting it have direct access
each/every disk).

> In this kind of mode, the motherboard and the OS still thinks it sees only
> single volume. So now I am gathering that this is also not ideal for ZFS,
since it
> would still not be aware of multiple physical volumes and be unable to
optimize
> accordingly.
>
> I'm learning for the first time that sometimes 'JBOD' can also refer to
each
> individual drive being mounted separately at least as far as the
controller and
> the motherboard is concerned.
>
> I just want to confirm 100% that this is how you are recommending multiple
> drives be configured for ZFS. Because when I started the thread I was
thinking
> of JBOD as 'spanning'.

Correct; JBOD never means span (which is RAID-0). Rather, JBOD usually means
using non-RAID capable hardware with a RAID-capable operating system (e.g.,
using ZFS). We are again in-essence talking about using software RAID to
create
a software pool.

I don't want to go drawing similarities to many other software RAID
solutions,
because ZFS is truly in a class its own. But if you're familiar with the
concepts
of setting up a software RAID (mdadm, vinum, graid*, etc.) then ZFS should
be
more familiar. That's not to say that you need to know these things to use
ZFS
(in practice, ZFS has predictable commands with predictable syntax) but if
you
have ever created a software RAID you will be in unique position to better
understand the JBOD mentality.

So in transitioning to a test platform that uses "JBOD" you essentially have
two
choices that look attractive...

+ Ditch the RAID card and use a standard adapter for connecting your drives

+ Find a way to change your RAID controller to export all the disks
NB: This may involve using a LSI provided utility or flashing a QLogic card
NB: If you give us your exact card info, someone may have information on how
to transition it into JBOD mode for ZFS

+ Create a bunch of single-disk RAID-0 arrays (12 disks? 12x single-disk
SPAN
or RAID-0 arrays; producing 12x single LUNs for use in ZFS).

Hope this gives some ideas.
--
Devin

> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014, Eitan Adler wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 5:27 PM,  <freebsd@fongaboo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> When we spoke, you noted that when installing ZFS on multiple disks
> >> connected to a hardware RAID controller, it is best to config it to
JBOD.