Date:      Fri, 01 Mar 2002 15:58:00 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Rod Person <roddierod@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Parallel@FreeBSD.ORG, Port@FreeBSD.ORG, Scanning@FreeBSD.ORG, and@FreeBSD.ORG, SANE@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Parallel port scanning and SANE (Sorry forgot the subject 1st time)!

> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:05:40 -0500
> From: Rod Person <roddierod@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Does anyone know how to or been successful in getting sane to recognize a
> parallel port scanner. I have an HP 5100c. I have add /dev/ppi0 to my
> hp.conf and as the man page says I added the line connect-ptal, but I get
> an error that sane was not compile with that flag, but I have been
> unsuccessful in try to find the syntax to pass that flag when I make the
> port. If I leave the connect-ptal out of the config file I get no device
> error.
>
> any suggestions at all?

I have the same scanner and asked almost the same question to this
list back in December. No luck. The problem is that this device uses
the SCSI over parallel driver in Linux and, as far as I can tell no
such driver exists for FreeBSD.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)