Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 04:37:05 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>, sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12

At 10:13 AM +1000 6/5/99, Greg Black wrote:
>sthaug@nethelp.no writes:

>> > Since this opens the file so that it cannot be written to, not
>> > to mention the really weird mode it will get if it's created by
>> > that open(), the rest of the thing doesn't deserve to work.
>>
>> That may be the case, but it shouldn't panic the machine.
>
>I did not suggest that it was a likely cause of the panic.  I
>said that it's a fair thing for people who provide test code to
>at least make it correct so that other people don't have to
>waste their time on irrelevant issues.  Of course, if it is the
>broken test code that provokes a panic, that should be stated up
>front as part of the test case.

let us see.

The SUBJECT of this threat is:     3.2-stable, PANIC NUMBER 12

It is the latest in a series of threads, all started by david,
which talked about previous PANICs that he has been grappling
with since a recent upgrade to FreeBSD (among other things).

I guess that was not upfront enough.  I will have to chide david
for being so devious with the topics he posts to hackers.

More seriously, I expect you were trying to be helpful with your
code-review response, but you really did completely misread the
messages that David has been posting.  It would be easier to just
admit that and forget about it, than to try and convince people
that your reply made ANY sense given the messages David has been
posting while tracking down this very vexing ("PANIC NUMBER 12")
problem that we (RPI) have been trying to pin down.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute