Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 1995 03:41:43 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   ${INSTALL} ${INSTALLFLAGS}

Garrett has implemented a -C flag to `install' that says to avoid copying
if the target compares equal with the source.  We need to use this flag
in all Makefiles.  I think the right method is:

sys.mk:			INSTALL		?=	install	# same as now
bsd.own.mk:		INSTALL_COMPARE	?=	-C
bsd.own.mk:		INSTALL_COPY	?=	-c	# replaces COPY
bsd.own.mk:		INSTALLFLAGS	?=		# user options
bsd.prog.mk etc:	INSTALL	+=	${INSTALL_COMPARE} ${INSTALL_COPY} \
					${INSTALLFLAGS}	# sometimes more
Makefiles:		${INSTALL} [-c] ...

There is little point in putting `${INSTALL} ${INSTALLFLAGS} [-c]' in all
Makefiles.  It mainly makes the commands longer.  If different options
are required then plain `install' can be used.  This would ignore any
special setting of INSTALL, but special settings have never really worked
anyway.

Makefiles have to use -c to install source files in case ${INSTALL_COPY}
is set to empty.  Some currently use ${COPY} in more or less the right
places.

I have changed 81 Makefiles to use `${INSTALL}' instead of `install'.
Complain if you want anything different.

Bruce