Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2019 15:37:17 -0800
From:      "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
To:        Adam <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>, <sjg@juniper.net>
Subject:   Re: Importing mksh in base

Adam <amvandemore@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not wish to have a bash like root shell since imo its interactive mode

I don't know why eveyone is fixating on bash.  ksh is *not* bash.

A /bin/sh compatible shell with good user interaction, is great.
You can cut/paste lines from shell scripts to test interactively
rather than have to first spawn /bin/sh

> isn't that great.  I don't think conformity is a great argument for change
> in this regard.  I don't see any other advantage to this change.  I could
> be wrong but I also think it might be incorrect to say bash is the default
> root shell on other BSD's.

I don't think anyone said that.  ksh is one of the options for root
shell on netbsd - has been for at least a decade or so.

I've always used ksh as root shell.

> If there is some change to the root shell, I'd rather see it to be zsh
> which does have a good interactive mode.

FWIW I never liked zsh  - seemed a bit like bash - trying to be a hybrid of
every shell that ever was.

Believe it or not, some people do not like csh at all, and will use
anything else.

--sjg