Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:50:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How come accounting limits of login.conf still doesn't work?!

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

> There've been a nasty situation for quite a long time already with
> various accounting limits of login.conf...
>
> How come that all kewl features, such as sessionlimits, idletimes, etc all
> are documented in man login.conf(5), but never seemed to work?  It's 4.2
> already, and it still doesn't make any difference?

The problem is that no process hangs around after a login to enforce these
limits.

I have some dusty code that enforces time limits that I've been thinking
about improving (to handle all the "kewl" features you mention) and
bringing into (or invoking from) login(1).  It would mean an extra process
hanging around for each login, but processes are cheap :-)

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D.
Sr. Software Engineer, Palisade Systems         ---   ghelmer@palisadesys.com
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu