Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2014 09:48:11 -0400
From:      Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NTP security hole CVE-2013-5211? (Gary Palmer)

On Mar 25, 2014, at 8:00 AM, freebsd-security-request@freebsd.org wrote:

>=20
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:02:08 -0400
> From: Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
> To: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
> Cc: "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>,
> 	Remko Lodder <remko@freebsd.org>, "Ronald F. Guilmette"
> 	<rfg@tristatelogic.com>
> Subject: Re: NTP security hole CVE-2013-5211?
>=20
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 06:13:10PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
>> At 03:28 PM 3/21/2014, Remko Lodder wrote:
>>=20
>>> Ofcourse the software should be well protected as well, and secteam@ =
did his
>>> best to offer the best solution possible. Though as mentioned by =
Brett for
>>> example we just cannot force the update of ntpd.conf on user =
machines because
>>> every admin could have legitimate reasons for having a configuration =
in place
>>> they decided to have. It's risky to change those things and =
especially enforce
>>> them on running machines. Most of his ideas were in the advisory =
already
>>> except for the 'disable monitor' part, which might be reason to =
discuss
>>> whether that makes sense or not.
>>=20
>> I've suggested one other thing, and still think it would be a good =
idea to
>> thwart attacks: that we compile ntpd to source outgoing queries from =
randomly
>> selected ephemeral UDP ports rather than UDP port 123. (This was,=20
>> in fact, done
>> in earlier releases of FreeBSD and I'm unsure why it was changed.) =
This makes
>> stateful firewalling less necessary and improves its performance if =
it is done.
>=20
>=20
> Could you please explain how randomising the source port of NTP =
queries
> would thwart NTP monitor amplification attacks?  The attack works =
because
> the NTP control port on the server is always UDP/123, and I don't see =
how
> changing the source port would fix that.  Unless I'm missing =
something, you'd
> need to change the port the daemon accepts queries on, not the port it =
sources
> outbound queries on.
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Gary

There are three problems=20
0. NTP can be tricked to give out big answer to forged addresses.=20
1. Some NTP servers listen on port 123 all address even when only =
expecting to providing service on=20
"internal addresses",
2. NTP servers are easily discoverable  due to the listening on fixed =
port. =20

Moving the servers of port 123 will make the search for servers harder =
but intrusion detection systems=20
will need to be modified to expect NTP traffic on any port.=20

IF and ONLY if people are willing to change how NTP servers are =
discovered in DNS then servers
can listen on any port.=20
Instead of loping up "A/AAAA" record for a name, the service discovery =
should look up SRV record as
that includes port number on each server. Even if everyone agrees to =
make this change=20
there still has to be "temporarily" backwards hack to allow old software =
to find the service.=20
(In the mail world MX (SRV equivalent) use is not universal after over =
25 years).=20

So while it is possible to move NTP servers off port 123 I do not think =
it is worth the effort.=20

	Olafur